Saturday, September 27, 2008

Second Class Citizen

As a woman who has always believed that I can do anything I want despite the fact that I have a vagina, there are a few things in Dubai that really piss me off.

Since I am not working yet, my husband is my visa sponsor. My residence visa is a "housewife visa." I have nothing against housewives, but I am definitely not meant to be one. Last time I checked my law degree did not disintegrate when I crossed the border. I'd rather eat glass than start going to ladies luncheons and group manicures.

To make matters worse, I need my husband's permission to do many things. I had to take a letter of no objection from him to get my driver's license. It was very difficult for me to non-nonchalantly hand over this letter with the rest of my documents when I wanted to scream in everybody's face, but I did it. I also need his permission to install a telephone line and other such services and to work. I hope I can continue to hold my tongue until I accomplish these things. Protesting is illegal here and it isn't in the best interest of my family to get deported. At least, not yet.

No comments: